Crowdfunding is emerging as one of the most innovative ways for people and organizations to fund their projects. To explore the potential for crowdfunding to help finance research, every student in the class will develop and implement a crowdfunding campaign. The project for which you raise funds is up to you, though we expect most of you will focus on your thesis project, summer research, or a project you are working on with in-country collaborators or partner institutions. The projects will be posted on February 17, 2016 and run for 4 weeks.
AMOUNT: The project request should be $1000-$2000.
PLATFORM: We will be posting our projects to Rockethub (www.rockethub.com) which has a simple interface and is well suited to the variety of projects we seek to fund. If you reach your goal they charge a 4% commission fee + 4% credit card handling fee. If you don’t reach your goal they charge an 8% commission fee + 4% credit card fee.
GRADING: Your grade on this assignment will not be based on if you get funded, but rather on how well you complete the different elements of a successful campaign. The assignment is worth 1500 points and is made up of the following components:
DUE JANUARY 13th:
1) Register on Rockethub, review different projects to get ideas and familiarize yourself with the sites, complete the readings
2) Project Overview (150 points) to include:
a. The project title
b. a 2-3 sentence summary of the project for which you seek support
c. The total amount required for the project
d. A brief explanation of how you will make up the difference between the amount required for the project and the amount of your campaign
DUE JANUARY 20th
3) Plan the price points and rewards offered to donors. (150 points)
4) Prepare your internet and social media presence (100 points)
a. Register on twitter and follow 15-20 accounts that will be of use during your campaign (prepare as a list called “LAS6291”).
b. Launch your professional / project web site using platform of your choice.
DUE JANUARY 27th
5) Prepare the Project Description (300 points)
a. 2-3 paragraphs of text
b. Images and Audio (if appropriate)
c. “About” page
DUE FEBRUARY 3rd
6) 2-3 min. campaign video (200 points)
DUE FEBRUARY 10th
7) Final Campaign Plan (300 points)
a. potential funders, including networks such LATAM, UFL, partner institutions, alumni association, etc., and plan for interacting with them
b. Plan for outreach, including social media, press, etc.
c. Plans for dealing with ‘the dip’
d. Plan for following-up if funded.
DUE FEBRUARY 17th
8) Launch project
DUE FEBRUARY 17th-March 16th
9) Implementation of outreach plan and promotion of campaign (100 points)
DUE April 6th
10) Report & Evaluation Crowdfunding Project (1000-1500 words) (200 points)