INDIVIDUAL CROWDFUNDING PROJECT
LAS 6291: Fundraising for TCD Professionals – Spring 2018
Crowdfunding is emerging as one of the most innovative ways for people and organizations to fund their projects. To explore the potential for crowdfunding to help finance research, every student in the class will develop and implement a crowdfunding campaign. The project for which you raise funds is up to you, though we expect most of you will focus on your thesis project, summer research, or a project you are working on with in-country collaborators or partner institutions. The projects will be posted on February 27, 2018 and run for 4 weeks.
AMOUNT: The project request should be $1000-$2000.
GRADING: Your grade on this assignment will not be based on if you get funded, but rather on how well you complete the different elements of a successful campaign. The assignment is worth 1500 points and is made up of the following components:
DUE JANUARY 23th:
- Review different projects on different online platforms to get ideas and familiarize yourself with the sites, complete the readings
- Project Overview (150 points) to include:
- The project title
- a 2-3 sentence summary of the project for which you seek support
- The total amount required for the project
- A brief explanation of how you will make up the difference between the amount required for the project and the amount of your campaign
DUE JANUARY 30th
- Plan the price points and rewards offered to donors. (150 points)
- Prepare your internet and social media presence (100 points)
- Register on twitter and follow 15-20 accounts that will be of use during your campaign (prepare as a list called “LAS6291”).
- Launch your professional / project web site using platform of your choice.
DUE FEBRUARY 6th
- Prepare the Project Description (300 points)
- 2-3 paragraphs of text
- Images and Audio (if appropriate)
- “About” page
DUE FEBRUARY 13rd
- The 1st version of your 2-3 min. campaign video (200 points)
DUE FEBRUARY 20th
- Final Campaign Plan (300 points)
- potential funders, including networks such LATAM, UFL, partner institutions, alumni association, etc., and plan for interacting with them
- Plan for outreach, including social media, press, etc.
- Plans for dealing with ‘the dip’
- Plan for following-up if funded.
DUE FEBRUARY 27h
- Final Campaign Video
- Launch project!
DUE FEBRUARY 27th-March 27th
- Implementation of outreach plan and promotion of campaign (100 points)
DUE April 3rd
- Report & Evaluation Crowdfunding Project (1000-1500 words) (200 points)